Calling Polish experts!! Cockerel or pullet, what do you think?

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
This white crested black Polish came in an "all pullet assortment" that Linda recently ordered. She doesn't like "froofy" chickens, so I got to keep the Polish!

She acts a little roo-ish, but this is my first Polish & I am still learning about them. Is this a girl or a boy?

Pic 1:
59404_faith01.jpeg

Pic 2:
59404_faith02.jpeg

I sure hope she's a girl, but we'll keep it either way! I just like the name Faith for her. I don't want to change it to some silly boy name! LOL!

ETA: She's about a month old, if that helps. The shipment came on July 7th, and the chicks were a day old when shipped on the 6th.

Last edited:
Look at the tips of the crest feathers. I can't tell from your photo, but if to a point it's a roo and rounded tip is a pullet.

Thanks!
smile.png
She has nice, rounded feathers on the crest. She's the Queen Of The Stinkeye, too! LOL! She gets the other chicks in the brooder all riled up.

And thank y'all for not commenting on the plethora of wine bottles lined up in my kitchen...haahaha!!! DH works at a winery & we get discounts.

Don't cash in your chips just yet on that Polish gem. Polish are known for their difficulty in sexing. If she came in a pullet order, then I would expect pullet. Polish in general are not sexed that young.

Wait a week. If her 'do is a nice bouffant, then it's a girl. If it's wild and crazy like early 1980's rock guys, it's a boy.
smile.png

If you wanna know for sure wait at lease three weeks. Polish can be tricky bc boys to can come in with rounded crest and later on get the crazy spikey hair do. In three weeks the wattles will either be red and growing or not. But as of right now I wil say pullet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom