Calling Polish experts!! Cockerel or pullet, what do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HHandbasket, Aug 7, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

This white crested black Polish came in an "all pullet assortment" that Linda recently ordered. She doesn't like "froofy" chickens, so I got to keep the Polish!

She acts a little roo-ish, but this is my first Polish & I am still learning about them. Is this a girl or a boy?

Pic 1:
    [​IMG]

Pic 2:
    [​IMG]

I sure hope she's a girl, but we'll keep it either way! I just like the name Faith for her. I don't want to change it to some silly boy name! LOL!

ETA: She's about a month old, if that helps. The shipment came on July 7th, and the chicks were a day old when shipped on the 6th.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a girl to me. My girls had full heads like yours. My boy had a skimpy and spikey headdress from the get-go.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Look at the tips of the crest feathers. I can't tell from your photo, but if to a point it's a roo and rounded tip is a pullet.

4. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    I am certainly no expert, but it looks like my girl polish. She has uniform head feathers, not all spikey like my roo. She is pretty!

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Looks like a pullet to me [​IMG]

6. HHandbasket

Thanks! [​IMG] She has nice, rounded feathers on the crest. She's the Queen Of The Stinkeye, too! LOL! She gets the other chicks in the brooder all riled up.

And thank y'all for not commenting on the plethora of wine bottles lined up in my kitchen...haahaha!!! DH works at a winery & we get discounts.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Don't cash in your chips just yet on that Polish gem. Polish are known for their difficulty in sexing. If she came in a pullet order, then I would expect pullet. Polish in general are not sexed that young.

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Wait a week. If her 'do is a nice bouffant, then it's a girl. If it's wild and crazy like early 1980's rock guys, it's a boy. [​IMG]

9. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    If you wanna know for sure wait at lease three weeks. Polish can be tricky bc boys to can come in with rounded crest and later on get the crazy spikey hair do. In three weeks the wattles will either be red and growing or not. But as of right now I wil say pullet.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  10. HHandbasket

Thanks for the heads up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by