Calling Speckled, Bama, Prissy, etc...Do I have a Self Blue/Lavender?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChicknThief, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I hatched her out of a BBS set. She is really pale, and she has no lacing whatsoever. These aren't the best pics, but I will try to get better ones...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are they the same chicken or 2 different ones? They both look blue (as in andalusian blue). Very pretty girls.

Jody

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If she came from BBS eggs, she's light blue. To get lavender, you'd have to have gotten her from two self-blue parents or a lav and split black (I'm not good with this lav gene-someone correct me if that's wrong)

Jess, how are Hawkeye's grandchicks? Gee, they're grown now, aren't they?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Thanks for the quick responses! Ok, so that means that she cannot be a Lavender. If I put her under a black rooster will she throw darker chicks with lacing?

Cynthia! They are all doing just fine! We have tried about a bazillion times to get good shots of them but they are so darned active that the pics all come out fuzzy! I will post what we have of them once I get the pics uploaded. Look for it in a new thread...

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I love those eyes!! Beautiful girl you have.

6. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Thanks Carrie!

Cynthia, Here is the link to the Hawkeye babies...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=95793

ETA: Jody, I just caught your question. Both pictures are of the same chicken. The lighting is just a little different.

So what do you guys think about my black roo theory?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I saw my grandchicks. They are very goodlooking babies. Thank you so much for posting those. [​IMG]

8. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    No problem at all! I should be so ashamed that we haven't posted more of them before now! I apologize for that Cyn. [​IMG] They crack us up too! They always hang around together in a little pack. They won't even hang out with our other BRs, LOL.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Aww, those Hawkeye babies are so adorable. I love the pic of the 2 pullets face to face, like they're giving a peck (kiss). [​IMG]

I do believe if you breed her to black you'll improve her lacing and should produce darker blue offspring. She is just a more diluted blue than the darker ones. I like both ends of the spectrum on blues. The light ones are just as gorgeous as the dark ones with beautiful lacing.

Jody

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:This bird demonstrates why I do not like to breed blue to blue. I find it really diminishes the lacing and blue ameraucanas are supposed to have good lacing and it is pretty hard to come by.

I have been breeding blue on blue though all summer as I have found that people want splash birds. I have either sold or given away all the resulting blue chicks as I would rather not use them in my breeding program since I have better laced birds already.

I will have a splash only pen next spring and won't have to worry about it. woo hoo!!!

And, yes, in my experience with ameraucanas I believe depending on the genetics black to blue produces better lacing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by