Calling Sue !!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MissPrissy, Mar 5, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Did I miss it? Did you get the bator? Did you set the eggs?

2. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Got it today!!!!!!! Was looking for you in chat, but no one is there to tell my good news to!!!
    I have a couple questions about it.....
    1. If I set the eggs tonight, do I wait til tomorrow night to count day 1? That would make the hatch date March 26, is that right?
    2. How often do I add water, and how do you do it with out taking the turner out?
    3.Do I set the eggs on the turner with the big side up?(opposite the way they come in a carton) thats what it sounds like the directions say to me.
    I think thats it for now, but I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I go along!!!!
    Thanks, Sue

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Hooray for suenrob!!! I've been in chat wondering if you got your incubator today. I'm glad you did. Let us know how everything goes!

[​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I was out alot today! I missed everyone!

Quote:If you set the tonight, this same time tomorrow night is the end of day 1. Yes, the 26th.

Quote:Watch your hydrometer. Being in Fla I am not sure if you are humid this time of year or dry. If it needs water to raise the humidity don't be afraid to open the lid and add water. Just take and egg out of the tuner is full and pour a little water in the tray underneath. Keep it between 30% and 50% until day 18.

Quote:Yes, just like you were to buy them in a carton at the store.

Good luck, Sue!!!

5. suenrob

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I'm confussed about the way the eggs should sit in the turner. The directions say small end down. But you said just like they come in the store, which is small end up. so which is it?

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If I buy eggs at a grocery store they come big end up, small pointy end down. In your turner the big end should be up the small pointy end down.

I wonder who packs the eggs in your stores down there.

7. suenrob

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Thats so weird!!! I have never bought eggs with the pointy end down. Thanks for your help.

Humidity is still at 60, can I put the eggs in yet?

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Did you pour out most of the water? With the lid off and putting eggs in the humidty should drop significantly. Put those eggs in! Lets get some chickens growing! If the natural humidty is high you can leave that top red vent plug open until it wicks away more.

9. suenrob

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    OK, I got my humidity regulated and set the eggs this morning, March6th at 7:00am. I figure my hatch date to be march 27th, is that correct?

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, it is correct!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by