1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calls 11 of 18 made it- Any help on why the 7 didn't (cute pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantiesrule, May 9, 2009.

1. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Here's my newest hatchees, aren't they just adorable??!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too bad they are from my sister's eggs and she wants the little critters back. [​IMG] But at least I get to enjoy them for a day or two.

Can anyone give me pointers or tell what went wrong with the other 7 eggs? Here's the story: I work nights so when I got home on the morning of the 26th, there were two hatched completely, three that were zipped most of the way and most of the others were piped. I watched for awhile but figured ducklings take awhile and I was so tired that I went to sleep for about three hours. When I got up there were eight hatched out and two more zipped! I waited another couple of hours. At that time I had ten ducklings and one that was partially zipped. The one that was partially zipped was from early morning so I thought I'd take a closer look. (I know they are supposed to take a long time but I was watching him pretty close and he seemed to be getting weaker.) The membrane seemed really thick, and I think that's what the trouble was. It seemed to be holding the top of the egg onto the bottom so I carefully clipped it apart and then put him back in and he finished hatching in about another hour. After looking at him, I thought I'd check out the rest of the eggs and realised all but one was already dead. I tried helping the one a bit but I think he was already too far gone. I peeled the shell away from a couple of the dead ones and they looked fully formed but they still hadn't fully absorbed the yolk yet. I can't believe how fast they all hatched, the first two to hatched had pipped and started to zip the night before so total time for all was probably about 20 hours.
    (Sorry so long winded, just hoping for suggestions for next time.)

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Super-duper cute!!! [​IMG]

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Aw! I wish I had Call ducks. I think they're my favorite [​IMG]

4. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    aaaah, I need them!! They are ridiculously cute!!!

5. bantiesrule

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Anyone have a clue why the bottom picture is bigger than the other two? I thought I uploaded them the same way?

6. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    they are super hard to hatch

7. bantiesrule

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Should I have tried helping them? It was only day 26. I thought I shouldn't help until they tried for at least a day. Any comments or helpful hints?

8. mikecoscia

mikecoscia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    North Haledon, NJ
    Congrats! I am on my second try incubating a clutch of calls. First time none of them made it, bought a better incubator and have 5 eggs incubating now. Hopefully I get one to hatch [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by