Calls, Cayugas, and Magpies oh my!

dragonshiner

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NE Wisconsin
Alright, so I went a little overboard today at the local fur and feather swap in Peshtigo. We came home with a trio of adult Alaskan Snow Pheasants, three Yellow Golden Pheasant chicks, 8 Muscovy ducklings, 2 Cayuga ducklings, 2 Magpie ducklings, and 2 Call Ducklings. I think that I may be banned from spending money at swap meets ever again!
smile.png

How fun! I wish people around here did stuff like that!

Congratulations on all your new birds!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! It's been a very eventful bird day ever since. My ducklings are all nestled in with my 4 one-week old ducklings in their tank until they outgrow it and need to move to a bigger space.
My neighbor gave me some deep sided pans to put in the yard so now my free range ducklings have some swimming pools!
The Alaskan Snow pheasant rooster was apparently too similar to a chinese ringneck and went head to head with "Phillipe" our Ringneck rooster. Now Phillipe is on the run and we may have to lose him. We were planning on steering away from ringnecks anyway.
Finally, after buying the call ducklings my old Call drake, Djaq, died this afternoon. He wasn't attacked, injured, wasn't starving or ill. He just decided that he'd had enough and gave up. Now his partner, Diane, is left on her own so I moved her together with the five-week old ducklings so she didn't have to be alone. Djaq and Diane had only been with us for one week, they were a wonderful addition to the flock. I hope Diane hangs in there.

Busy day.

LOL Well Diane seems to be enjoying her time with other ducks, but the irony is that the ducklings who are already twice her size seem to be afraid of her. Every time she moves to join the flock they run away. Mind you they are total strangers. It has only been a day though since they've been together so I'm sure it will take some time before they integrate into each others lives. And I will definitely have to think up a solution so that when the drakes reach maturity they do not try to mate with her.
Meanwhile though she seems much happier now that she has the option to free range, but still spends most of her time inside the barn.
smile.png

Quote:
I cannot believe the change in my calls since I let them free range. They are like completely different little ducks. Before they were so afraid of everything, now they barely notice me when I go into the aviary. They have such fun and look very content.

They are really easy keepers too, they forage for almost ALL of their food. It is incredible how little they eat compared to my others ducks.

Back
Top Bottom