Calls love their pool

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mstricer, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Should my Calls still be swimming? We have a de-icer in it. But it gets cold here in Ohio, How long should they go in the water?

2. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    mine still have small swimming containers
    and are just fine.
    (i live in ohio)

3. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    They know when to get out and dry off...they're body is capable of redirecting bloodflow to areas that are coldest, and they have an inch or more of insulation that works very well to protect them. Water does not actually penetrate so it never touches their skin.

As long as they have some dry shelter to go to at night or in extremes they can hang in the pond or snow for hours. Food is the most important followed by dry shelter.
    I watched our pond ducks sitting by the water asleep when it was in the mid 20s a cpl weeks ago...and others casually paddling around in the pond.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone, yes they have an insulated house.

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    ducks are capable of swimming year round. if you provide them water to swim in.

6. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Im in Iowa ..cold cold winters... (nice this yr so far tho)... they have a indoor pond they swim in ALL winter.. in fact , when its really cold, the prefer to stay in the pond as it is at least above freezing (32). They have a heated hut, straw filled pen and the pond, I let them do what they want, I would never take away thier water ..

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by