calls or runners

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KellyandKatie, May 22, 2010.

1. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    We have chickens and muscovies as pets right now- and they free range so everyone has to get along

I want to want runners, but all the runners that I have met so far are very high strung- is that the breed or just the few I have happened to meet- compared to my scovies who are like puppies, the runners just seemed nerotic- but again, maybe it was just those ducks

I also want to want calls- but I am worried they will be loud and call preditors into my area
  2. jujubean99

jujubean99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    I don't have calls, but I have a flock of 3, one of which is a runner. His name is chauncy, and he is the friendliest of all my ducks. I hand raised tem all and held them daily, and htey are all pretty friendly, but my runner is the nicest. I think it was probably just those ducks, they all have varied personalities, I don't think it depends so much on the breed. I have never had calls, but I think they are super loud. Also, they are I hink about 1.5-2 pounds, and if they were going to free range with your other ducks (like the big muscovies) and the males tried to mate them, I can imagine the female calls would get squished and this could lead to many injuries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by