Calls or Wood Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cara, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I want to raise another variety of ducks other than the Pekins we already have. I'm torn between Calls and Wood Ducks. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to raising them?

2. wadek2008

wadek2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The Calls are so much more personable. Wood ducks will be very wild. Whenever I get in the pen with my Wood ducks or Mandarins, they run wildly to the side farthest from me and a few start flapping their wings and banging into the fence. That's just how they are-not domesticated. Though they're very pretty, they're more expensive to get into and harder to raise. The calls are friendlier, especially if you have them from when they're little.

3. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Do the calls lay more eggs than the wood ducks?

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Ive heard that they do. Call ducks start laying in march, where as wood ducks are in late april early may. Call ducks are very friendly and like to be handled, where as wood ducks are very very wild.

5. wadek2008

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yes they do.

6. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Thanks, that has helped a lot [​IMG] The wood ducks are beautiful, but I won't enjoy them if they're freaking out every time i'm in the pen with them.

7. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    I also havwe Woodduck and Mandrinas and the breeders do act crazy,but the babis if you raise them they will set on your shoulder and come to you for lovingas do the pure Mallards they are a very sweet pretty little duck also good luck

8. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Can call ducks fly? Our Pekins can barely run [​IMG]

9. wadek2008

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yes but in my experience they don't really try if you have food and water for them. They're pretty loyal and tame. I keep my call's wings clipped, of course, though.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yes, they can. Mine will occasionaly fly around their pen. I used to let them out, and they would fly right down to the pond. But the hawks started picking them off, and my whole flock took off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by