1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calm Down the Girls!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lov'emSouthernEggs, May 8, 2009.

1. Lov'emSouthernEggs

Lov'emSouthernEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    East Carolina
    We don't have a rooster in our one laying flock. Will adding a rooster calm them down a bit. They are White Leghorn hens and they aren't very lovey dovey anyway but there is one that attacks the others when they are trying to lay in the boxes.

Would a rooster fix that?

We have a Sebright rooster in with the other flock. There are 2 Sebright hens, 2 brahms and 3 RIRs in that flock and there seems to be peace and harmony with them. Though my larger chickens laugh at the rooster. He's so tiny and he doesn't realize it. LOL [​IMG]

We are looking to get roosters for the flocks anyways but are waiting to find what we want. DH might get a nice rooster of any breed to keep order and peace.

Ideas? [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My roo keeps the peace amongst the girls, but he was raised with them. If you get a roo younger than your hens, the dominant hens are likely to give a young roo a really hard time until he learns to man up and take charge.

3. Lov'emSouthernEggs

Lov'emSouthernEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    East Carolina
    Thank you so much. We have some chicks but we were looking for a 2 year old roo. Would that be better? Something needs to be done with them.

[​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A one to two year old roo. You'll need to quarantine him when you get him, no matter how healthy he appears. Wouldn't want to lose your whole flock if he was carrying something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by