Calm, Kid Friendly Breeds

Mary

Hatching
12 Years
May 24, 2007
We are going to be ordering 4 pullets from Mypetchicken (I think). Looking for a calm, egg laying breed that will be friendly, as in come up to you, and let you hand feed or pick it up ideally. On my "possible" list I have: Buff Orpington, Cochin, Australorp, Wyandotte, Brahma, and Jersey Giant. I want some color out in the pen. Any suggestions?
Thanks, I am so glad I found this site!

They aren't terribly good layers, but of the bunch, I'd go with Cochins. If you have the opportunity, hatch eggs instead of buying chicks. My hatched babies are always friendlier than ordered chicks.

Buff Orpingtons!!

My girls mob me when they see me and cluck loudly to be the first one picked up. They are the friendliest, most docile, loveable birds I have ever had. I absolutely adore them. They are great with kids, I NEVER have to worry about my grandchildren around them.

Oh, and did I mention the wonderful, dark brown, large eggs I get every day?
smile.png

HTH
Ma

I agree that Cochins are WONDERFUL "Pet" chickens not the best at egg laying and they tend to go broody often.

We have a Barred Rock here at our house and she is a sweetheart. She is my 7 year old's chicken.

Comes runing when she see my Daughter or when my Daughter calls her. Follows my DD around like a puppy and my DD can pick her up and carry her all over the place.

We get a large brown egg a day from her too.

I feel it also depends on the chicken itself as what type of personality you will get.

But, I picked a Barred Rock for DD because when I was growing up I had a Barred Rock that was the same way and my Daughter LOVES the chickens and is alway outside with them.

She spent a lot of time with her Barred Rock as a chick that helps also.

Back
Top Bottom