Calm, Kid Friendly Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mary, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Mary

Mary New Egg

May 24, 2007
    We are going to be ordering 4 pullets from Mypetchicken (I think). Looking for a calm, egg laying breed that will be friendly, as in come up to you, and let you hand feed or pick it up ideally. On my "possible" list I have: Buff Orpington, Cochin, Australorp, Wyandotte, Brahma, and Jersey Giant. I want some color out in the pen. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, I am so glad I found this site!

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    They aren't terribly good layers, but of the bunch, I'd go with Cochins. If you have the opportunity, hatch eggs instead of buying chicks. My hatched babies are always friendlier than ordered chicks.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    You forgot Buckeyes on your list, but of the ones you listed I would go for the Buff Orps.

Only four???

4. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Buff Orpingtons!!

My girls mob me when they see me and cluck loudly to be the first one picked up. They are the friendliest, most docile, loveable birds I have ever had. I absolutely adore them. They are great with kids, I NEVER have to worry about my grandchildren around them.

Oh, and did I mention the wonderful, dark brown, large eggs I get every day?[​IMG]

HTH
    Ma

5. Keleka

Keleka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2007
    West Bloomfield
    I vote Salmon Faverolle, followed by Buff Orps. My Salmon is my 4 year daughter's and she is awesome to say the least.

6. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Id say turkens

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I vote Cochin

8. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:Me too!

9. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that Cochins are WONDERFUL "Pet" chickens not the best at egg laying and they tend to go broody often.

We have a Barred Rock here at our house and she is a sweetheart. She is my 7 year old's chicken.

Comes runing when she see my Daughter or when my Daughter calls her. Follows my DD around like a puppy and my DD can pick her up and carry her all over the place.

We get a large brown egg a day from her too.

I feel it also depends on the chicken itself as what type of personality you will get.

But, I picked a Barred Rock for DD because when I was growing up I had a Barred Rock that was the same way and my Daughter LOVES the chickens and is alway outside with them.

She spent a lot of time with her Barred Rock as a chick that helps also.

10. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Cochin
    Wyandotte
    Orpington
    Plymouth Rock

That is what you should get [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by