Calmest White Egg Layers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by noitulover, Oct 12, 2009.

1. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    our chickens get along very well together... would it be bad to introduce a flighty, uncooperative mediteranean based white egg laying breed??

we often (at least 5 times a week) let our chickens free range over the entire farm for a few hours. Normally on Saturdays and Sundays they get the whole day outside. They stay around the 2-ish acres that surround the coop and house. However, would a flighty, non-docile white egg layer "fly the coop" and free reange many acres away? the farm is like 300 acres, and i don't want to have to search all 300 of them to find the chickens to put them up at night... plus, there are many, MANY predators out there. the chickens are pretty safe since they stick around the house and coop. however, if they went much further, they would be prey for foxes, raccoons, feral cats, possibly neighbors' dogs, coyotes, and everything else living in the VA woods.

Also, how would a flighty chicken do if kept in the run (25-30 feet long x 16 ft wide) and coop (6?ft x 16ft)

i really would like some nice white egg layers though that wouldn't be too dominate or flighty... suggestions?

(sorry for the long description...)

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    You can order Barred Holands from Ideal Hatchery-they are not so flighty and lay white eggs.Any way Mediteranians will not range farder than any other breed

3. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    I have an andalusian I introduced to the flock awhile back. She's definatly a loner, but once she got used to the other birds she pretty much stuck around in their vicinity and now that I put the black star pullets with her, she tells them were in the yard you should and shouldn't go.
    She was skittish when she got here, but figured out pretty fast where the food was and that the food lady usually had treats...so I guess I'm ok now to her and ditto with her flock now too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by