1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calming new chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksak, Sep 4, 2013.

1. chicksak

chicksak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    on saturday we got a 3month old red star, black star and black australop, although both black ones look the same.They weren't handled much from what I can tell. The are super skittish and flighty. Every time me or any of our orphingtons go anywhere close to them they squawk and run/fly away in a panick. I have been leaving them in the coop/run area as I'm scared to let them out and free range in fear they will go hide and not come back.
    At night when I pry them from there roost spot above the door I manage to hold them for a couple minutes before they start screeching and disturbing all the other girls. Not sure what else I can do besides try and hold them a little to settle them down.
    Any thought?

2. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    They need to know that they can trust you. If you hold them a little each day ,and calm them by stroking their feathers, they will soon realize there is nothing to fear from you. However, it's obviously easier to tame chicks then 3 month old hens. Try hand feeding them as well. When you go in to the run to give them their food, extend your hand out to them, with a bit of grass on it or other food. With a bit of patience, you'll get through to them. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. chicksak

chicksak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    Thank you, I will keep it up. They are getting braver around the other hens so hopefully I will be next.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by