Came back from vacation to a biting chicken - what happened?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hollyclyff, Aug 14, 2007.

1. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    Before we left for vacation last week, my 15 week old Dominique girl was the sweetest thing. She was my lap chicken - my baby - very cuddly.

When we came home, she started biting me - hard! Hard enough to leave bruises. When she was younger, she pecked at my hands some, but not like this. And a few stern 'no's fixed that. I tried the stern 'no's again this time and it just seemed to make her more mad. But even more baffling is the fact that she still wants to get in my lap for petting. Then she is her old sweet self. Next think I know she is biting me again. What is the deal here? Is she challenging me for dominance or has she always thought she was dominant and thinks I might be challenging her now? Or is it something else? What is the best way to handle this situation? I want my sweet girl back.

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    I never found out why but it was about a month ago when my leghorn was acking a little funny. I went in the coop to clean it like I always do when she flew on my shoulder and pecked me in the face. She was my lap chicken so I didnt get why she had done that. Then the next day she turned back into my baby again.

3. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I have NO IDEA if chickens will do this but ...

Some animals who are very attached to their owners can act this way after you are gone for a while. It sure seems as if they are upset that you left, and the leftover part of that feeling makes them attack you.

If that is what it is, then paying attention to her and keeping to a regular schedule should smooth things out pretty quickly.

As I said though, I don't know whether chickens would fit into this category.

trish

4. hollyclyff

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I've been paying her lots of attention and I tried just letting her bite me. I left my hand in front of her and just let her bite until she stopped rather than jerking it away or telling her "no". I have no idea if that was a good thing to do or not, but it seems to have helped. She got in my lap as usual this morning with no biting. I sure hope she is over her snit.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obviously, you didn't bring them back any souveniers...shame on you...LOL J/K
    If your birds get attached to you, they can get really peeved that you left them. We went to Philly for3 days and Obelisk is still PO'd and we've been back for 3 weeks.:|

6. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    LOL, guess that answers the question. I guess chickens CAN get upset when you leave them.

I used to have a cockatoo that would stay made for weeks too, if I left her.

trish

7. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    My bunny will do this if she wants my attention. If she hops up for a cuddle and I'm busy doing something else, she'll bite and pull on my clothes until she gets what she wants!

8. hollyclyff

May 18, 2007
    NC
    So basically - she's a spoiled brat having a tantrum? Great, and I have to be out of town for a couple of days next week too. She's really going to be mad!

9. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Bring her back one of those "My daddy went on vacation and all I got was one of these lousey T-shirts" T-shirts, then maybe she'll forgive you.

10. islandchick

islandchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Oak Island, NC
    wow, this happend to me to!! I went out of town for the weekend and left them in just the coop and run, no yard privledges (the dogs got that) while my neighbor kept an eye on water. I come back and Red pecked me in the calf when I walked in!! Also are sweetest gal! I wasn't mad very long though.......somebody layed me my first egg!! (It was huge, mis-shapen and 2 yolks!![​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by