came home and found a dead roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Suess hens, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    He didn't look attacked. No missing feathers, and no markings...eyes were intact. He was a pissy roo, had a Napoleon complex, especially when it came to my daughter, and I was actually considering finding him a new home soon. No one else seems sick, and the standard birds didn't seem disturbed by the presence of his body (I know in the past I had a young chick die due to respiratory disease and they wouldn't go near her). He was a Houdan, and our temps were low last night. We left to the mountains early this morning, so I am unsure on the time of death. I do have another rooster, but it doesn't look like any harm came to him. I will obviously keep an eye on the others, but is there anything I should do? I will be cleaning out the coop and run in the morning.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    What about his skin, comb, was it purple'ish? He might have had a heart attack or choked on something.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

Some folks have their dead birds looked over to be certain it wasn't a disease that could be spread to the others in the flock.

Maybe it was just his time.

4. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    Quote:No his coloring was normal...red comb and wattles. My husband and I looked him over. It almost looked like when animals know they are dying, he just kind of laid himself out, in a comfortable non-conspicuous space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by