Came home to a dead chicken :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Highland Peach, May 10, 2011.

1. Highland Peach

Highland Peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    We came home tonight to find one of our Americauna chicks dead. They are 7 weeks old and I was just about to put them outside in their new coop. She was face down and all the other chickens were just walking all over her like she wasn't even there. Did I do it, not getting their coop finished by the time they were 6 weeks old? They were in a bit of a crowded space ... ugh, so sad. The rest seem fine though. Is there anything I should look for on the dead chick and/or on the others? Thanks!

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would just check to make sure they do not have any mites or lice on them. Check the poop and make sure that looks normal. Check these things, observe them closely for any symptoms and assume you are doing the best you can do!
    sharon

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    In addition to what welasharon stated, overcrowding can cause excessive picking/pecking as well.

4. Highland Peach

Highland Peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    I haven't seen any signs of mites or pecking and she was fine when I left this morning. I'm heading to the hardware store tomorrow to buy supplies so I can throw together a temporary coop while I finish the permanent one. Maybe being outside and having more room will help ... Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by