Came home to find sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by James_in_Utah, Sep 12, 2016.

1. James_in_Utah

James_in_Utah Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    I have a Copper moran that had been laying up to about 3 days ago, and has been broody, but now she can't walk. I think she was fine this morning, but honestly don't remember. She tries to get up but ends up falling to the left. I would think she either had a stroke, or maybe hurt her leg. She seems to keep putting her butt way up in the air and charging forward, but then falls over to the left. I have no idea. Mayb egg bound, since she didn't lay yesterday or today. I solated her but she doesn't seem to be interested in food or water. Any advice?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some hens can suffer from a temporary paralysis of the legs after being eggbound. Check inside her vent 1-2 inches with a finger to feel for an egg. Other possibilities could be an injury, a vitamin deficiency, or even Mareks disease. Mareks can cause paralysis of one or both legs, wings, or the neck. There can be other symptoms, such as starving, skin lesions, eye problems, and tumors. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Try feeding her some chopped egg with her usual feed, and add some poultry vitamins containing riboflavin to her water.

3. James_in_Utah

James_in_Utah Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    No idea if she was vaccinated. She was grown when we got her. I'm thinking injury, or stroke. Seems like her left leg is the problem, since she seems to be falling over that way. I had her isolated for 24 hours. She hasn't improved, but gotten no worse. She is eating, and pooping. Could still be an egg, since she was laying every other day for a few weeks, and suddenly stopped just as this happened. I couldn't feel an egg though. I tried putting her back with the flock tonight, she can't get up on her own, but if I stand her up she can walk forward about 15 feet or so then falls over on her left side. I put her back in the isolation cage and she seems to be comfortable. I will try the chopped eggs.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Maybe with a little rest, she will start using the leg better. Can she move her toes? Yogurt, mushrooms, beef liver, oats, and many other foods are high in riboflavin. Riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency can caused curled under toes and paralysis of one or both legs. If she has injured or sprained her leg, that can take weeks to heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by