Cameo Pied or Peach Pied???

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by DylansMom, Oct 20, 2014.

1. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Here is our newest addition to the flock. We will need some name suggestions from @PeaLover130 , [​IMG]I am so hoping this is a little hen, I am fairly certain it is, but I don't have much experience with Cameos and none with Peach. Her father is a Cameo Pied WE that is supposed to be split to Peach, possible moms are Cameo BS, Peach and Peach with a split to white, pied or WE( she has white flights and several white feathers on her back. When I picked her up she was indoors and she looked Cameo to me, but out in the sun the orange color really pops out, so now I'm stumped. Really need some help from those who have Peaches, she hatched in July, but I don't know the exact date. I'll attach pics of her and the last otwo will be her father.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dad
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Your chick is much redder than my cameo chicks, and I have a bunch of them.

3. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I have been trying to ID these chicks for my friend and it is so hard. He had I think 8 all together and there were some that looked much more like a gray/tan color, none of those were Pieds, there were 3 pied including mine and they all seemed to have a mixture of the tan and orangey colored feathers and then there was 1 little male not a Pied who was really, really orangey I think he was a definite Peach. The Pied are hard though.

4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Anybody else with Cameo and Peach going to take a crack at this???............ Please!!!

5. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Well, your chick is likely peach pied. I have one that looks almost identical, and she is in with cameo hens. She is too orange to be cameo. Father could very well be a cameo split peach, explaining the difference in chick colours.

6. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    The father is a Cameo Pied WE, that is supposed to be split to peach. Moms could be Peach, Cameo BS, or Peach with white flights. The other chicks made it difficult to figure, several were much more tan and less orange looking, but one was really orange and I think he was a Peach with no Pied genes. Thanks for the input!

7. Arbor

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Mom will be the peach with white flights, hopefully she got the w/e gene too!

8. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Thanks that is good to know. Peach wasn't really a color I was looking for, I thought she was a Cameo until I saw her in the sun, any suggestions for a male to pair her with? I don't have any other Peaches, and my Cameo and Purples are all hens.

9. Arbor

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    Hmm, this is always a duzie of a question for me. I usually make sure I've got a specific breeding goal in mind before I buy any peafowl. If you like pieds and whites, breed her to a white male. If you hope to hatch a male from her to use in a future cross with his mother, I'd go with a pied male. If she is carrying white eyed, a dark pied male from her with the w/e would help produce a good variety of peach and blue patterns.

10. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Yes.... I almost hated asking it! [​IMG] I do like Pieds and that is the main reason I chose her, the tanner looking birds were all solid colored, no pieds among them. I have a bunch of white and a nice selection of Pied and Silver Pied males. All of her male offspring will be split Peach correct?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by