Cameo Pied Pair

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by texpainthorse, Aug 29, 2014.

1. texpainthorse

texpainthorse Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    This is my new pair about to be transported to their new large pea house.
    [​IMG]

2. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    Very pretty. Would love to see their new pen too :)

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Nice!

-Kathy

4. texpainthorse

May 20, 2014
    Thank you!
    I'll post pics of the pen before it was completely finished. It is 1" square tubing with field wire. 8' wide x 8' tall x 16' long. They aren't settled in yet and seem jumpy so no pics of them in there until they settle down.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. texpainthorse

May 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is just before finished. Was going to put bird netting on top but decided on the wire and then tin for shade. Already have another started for the black shoulder. A door on a long side and a short side. Oh, using blue 55 gallon drums as nests and need to put some limbs in there for them.

[​IMG]
    My young fake Javas love their 55 gallon drum.

6. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Nice pair but they do not look pied do me... And those fake Javas are called spaldings!

7. texpainthorse

May 20, 2014
    Thank you.
    They are pied. Pic just doesn't show the white patterns. Once they get settled I will take some better pictures. I sure like these two.
    The "spaldings" I purchased as Javas knowing they wouldn't be pure. People are telling me they are 3/4 Java and people are telling me they are spaldings. That's why I refer to them as fake java. LOL
    [​IMG]

8. texpainthorse

May 20, 2014
    [​IMG]
    This one was taken right after we got them home.

9. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Pretty new pair, and pretty "Java-ish" pair too! [​IMG]

Just checking - do you have any predators in your neck of the woods?
    When I had a temporary pen, I had some dig-right-under visitors and some squeeze-through-the-wire visitors just waltzing right in [​IMG], so I thought I should ask...

10. texpainthorse

May 20, 2014
    Thank you!! I love Java-ish LOL!!

Hawks, owls, coyote.
    I have bird netting on the pens that need protection for the bird problem. We have large dogs (2 German Shepherds, 1 Rhodesian Ridgeback, and the biggest doberman I have ever seen LOL) on the premises that keep the coyote away and they don't dare bother the livestock. Coyote were a problem a few years ago. I got the shepherds to protect my foals. The breed of cattle we have, oh my... the cows are scarey when they have a new calf. Nothing can get to it including us.

We had a problem with a hawk getting our guinea keets. It was squeezing in between a slit in the chicken wire. We removed the keets, put bird netting over the coop, replaced the keets and have seen the hawk but he can't get in. HA!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by