The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hey Everybody,

Haven't made a thread in quite awhile! My last one had to do with trucks... Other than that, I have a camera question. Okay, I have a cool-pix 4800. Good camera. This isn't too important of a question, I can always experiment, but what setting is best for brightness?

Like sunsets or sunrise's, shining rivers. I really want to get pics of them, but I have a hard time. I am not even close to being a pro-photographer, but I do it for fun and hopefully will go farther someday into photography. Which setting is best?

Also... By the end of the year I might get another camera, not to replace the one I have, but for an upgrade. I prefer cannon or Nikon. Any similar models or brands you suggest? Thank you!

Have a nice evening, now.

Sincerely,
-The Angry Hen

I have a sister who is very good and knows all , sadly I don't.

But I do have a question for you about the turn around time. How long does it take for you to develop or have the photograph developed after taking them.

You could do like one would with pottery. Experiment with the settings, write down what you did. Have fun discovering why you love photography so much to invest in equipment and time. You could find hands on and playing around with your settings you discover a technique all your own.

Of course while reading and learning from others.

I have a sister who is very good and knows all , sadly I don't.

But I do have a question for you about the turn around time. How long does it take for you to develop or have the photograph developed after taking them.

You could do like one would with pottery. Experiment with the settings, write down what you did. Have fun discovering why you love photography so much to invest in equipment and time. You could find hands on and playing around with your settings you discover a technique all your own.

Of course while reading and learning from others.

Hello,

Thank you very much for responding! That is very helpful.
It takes about 4-6 seconds to complete taking the photo.

I will continue doing that! Once again, thank you. :)

Sincerely,
-The Angry Hen

The coolpix line does a pretty good job metering, so usually auto will be fine for those kinds of exposures, with a caveat. When you're shooting images with high contrast (like a sunset), you usually have to either take separate exposures for the light area and dark area and combine them together in software, or use a graduated ND filter (which I'm not sure they make for the coolpix). You could also try something like the NIK software package in photoshop to post-process it for the effect you'd like as well. In P/S cameras, you're trading ease of use for features. They're easy to take photos with, but they do not offer you the depth of options or flexibility you would see in higher end camera setups as a tradeoff for the convenience. If I'm shooting single exposures of sunrise/sunset, etc, I'll expose for the bright spot and let the dark spot look dark. Usually You want the brighter stuff anyway, and don't want to blow that out.

For your next camera, Do you want another point and shoot like the coolpix or do you want to move into a DLSR or mirrorless setup instead?

The coolpix line does a pretty good job metering, so usually auto will be fine for those kinds of exposures, with a caveat. When you're shooting images with high contrast (like a sunset), you usually have to either take separate exposures for the light area and dark area and combine them together in software, or use a graduated ND filter (which I'm not sure they make for the coolpix). You could also try something like the NIK software package in photoshop to post-process it for the effect you'd like as well. In P/S cameras, you're trading ease of use for features. They're easy to take photos with, but they do not offer you the depth of options or flexibility you would see in higher end camera setups as a tradeoff for the convenience. If I'm shooting single exposures of sunrise/sunset, etc, I'll expose for the bright spot and let the dark spot look dark. Usually You want the brighter stuff anyway, and don't want to blow that out.

For your next camera, Do you want another point and shoot like the coolpix or do you want to move into a DLSR or mirrorless setup instead?

Hello,

Thank you very much for responding. That is all very helpful.
I would probably lean towards the point and shoot, although I might do better with the mirror-less. I will have to look into it more and find what suits the photos I take.

What kinda camera would you suggest for brighter photos? I am pleased with my Nikon... But it just doesn't have enough settings and it doesn't work for me at times with the sky photos or terrain photos or item photos.

I hope I sound reasonable... I have a real lot to learn with photography, you guys are very helpful... Thanks for helping me learn. :)

-The Angry Hen

Hello,

What kinda camera would you suggest for brighter photos? I am pleased with my Nikon... But it just doesn't have enough settings and it doesn't work for me at times with the sky photos or terrain photos or item photos.

-The Angry Hen

If you want to stick with a point and shoot, I'd suggest this:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p900.html

Pretty full featured for a P/S, and will have a lot more functionality than your existing coolpix (which is somewhat dated now). Has decent low light and built in HDR tools (which will help with your specific wants for taking pics)

OR:

For the small bump in price, the N1 J5 is absolutely worth considering. I've actually put it on my Christmas list as a second walk-around camera.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...5.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

This one's mirrorless, and as you mentioned, the tech is very new. I'm looking forward to playing with it and seeing if it's a viable replacement for my DSLR (because it'd be easier to haul around)

FINALLY:

If you want to make the leap to a DSLR, I'd suggest a midrange Crop DSLR Like the Nikon D5600 (the 2 lens kit is on sale for about 900 bucks)
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/1580/d5600.html

You have the basics down, so an entry level DSLR won't do you a lot of good other than getting used to shooting with full manual options vs the P/S. Might as well start in a midrange body that will allow you to grow and will help you be able to get the shots you're looking for, vs an entry DSLR that you'll rapidly outgrow and have to re-buy.

Canon has similar models in the same price ranges, but I'm a Nikon guy so I know them better.

Not sure what you're looking for price-wise, so I stayed away from the more spendy bodies or options.

One other thing. The other main advantage of a mirrorless or DSLR long term is lens interchangeability. With a fixed lens Point and Shoot, what it comes with is what you get. There are hundreds of lens options available for the other platforms that will allow you to explore photography to your heart's desire with a simple glass swap. Just something else to consider, as that expanadability also comes with a price (good glass isn't always cheap)

If you want to stick with a point and shoot, I'd suggest this:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p900.html

Pretty full featured for a P/S, and will have a lot more functionality than your existing coolpix (which is somewhat dated now). Has decent low light and built in HDR tools (which will help with your specific wants for taking pics)

OR:

For the small bump in price, the N1 J5 is absolutely worth considering. I've actually put it on my Christmas list as a second walk-around camera.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...5.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-Overview

This one's mirrorless, and as you mentioned, the tech is very new. I'm looking forward to playing with it and seeing if it's a viable replacement for my DSLR (because it'd be easier to haul around)

FINALLY:

If you want to make the leap to a DSLR, I'd suggest a midrange Crop DSLR Like the Nikon D5600 (the 2 lens kit is on sale for about 900 bucks)
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/1580/d5600.html

You have the basics down, so an entry level DSLR won't do you a lot of good other than getting used to shooting with full manual options vs the P/S. Might as well start in a midrange body that will allow you to grow and will help you be able to get the shots you're looking for, vs an entry DSLR that you'll rapidly outgrow and have to re-buy.

Canon has similar models in the same price ranges, but I'm a Nikon guy so I know them better.

Not sure what you're looking for price-wise, so I stayed away from the more spendy bodies or options.

Those all look like very nice cameras, I really do like the 1 J5, that is probably what I am looking for. The first one isn't bad at all either. I am actually leaning towards the 1 J5, please fill me in on how you like it.

I am preferring a cheaper buy that is strong, but I think price wise and what I am looking for I like the 1 J5.

Thank you very much for your time, these options are very useful and I will 100% percent take a look over each one- I'm pretty sure it will be one that you listed.

Thanks!! Have a wonderful evening.

Sincerely,
-The Angry Hen

Back
Top Bottom