Cameras, motion sensors, flood lights.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fire pirate, Mar 3, 2013.

1. fire pirate

fire pirate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    enumclaw Washington
    Advice? What is the best to catch video of the baddies doing bad things? Reasonable priced survailance? what do you use for your barns?WIRELESS? Or not? Video tape? Can you even get those? How hard are they to set up? HELP ME!!! :-V

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    What you want is a decent quality game camera, they have them that take pictures in the dark without using a flash or they have the older versions which have a flash. They are easy, no wires just batteries and hang them where motion will activate then take the sd card out and stick it in the computer to see what's on it. Simple to use.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree - this is the way to go!!

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Game cams are your best option.For sound only you can go with baby monitors.Me, I would set a trap 24/7.

5. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Can someone recommend a decent camera that won't break the bank? Why would you chose a camera that takes pics vs. a wireless video camera with night vision?

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I would assume a wireless video camera with night vision to be an expensive unit and not really necessary, all you need is to see what you are dealing with, the game camera gives you that and it works at night as well, some can be set up to take video rather than still photos but they are only effective within a certain range so most likely all you will see is the animal walk past, which the still photo will show just fine. The camera trigger's sensitivity can usually be programmed as well as how you want it to take pictures, you can have it take just one pic each time or set it up to take a series of pics a couple seconds apart each time the camera is triggered, you can also set them to have a delay between triggerings so it doesn't take 100 pics of the same animal if the animal stands in front of it for 10 minutes.

7. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina

Thank you. I ended up getting a camera like you described. It's done a great job so far and I'm very happy with it. :)

8. renardsubtil

renardsubtil Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    I hate resurrecting old threads but I this one came up in a quick search and it's relevant....

Being a new chicken "dad" and knowing full well there are possums/raccoons that visited my yard (tore up my newly laid lawn for 3 months), I knew I had to get some kind of security for my chickens without breaking the bank.

I've been using the Skylink HA-434TL the past month or so with huge success. It's a battery operated wireless motion sensor that reports to a wall plug in console. The sensor works pretty well so far with no false alarms (leaves, falling branches, etc). I also plugged the console into a simple wall timer so that it only powers up from like 8PM to 5AM so that I don't have it going off during the day if I'm in the yard minding the coop or something.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  9. Wrooster

Wrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Northern Florida
    I see you (the OP) live in that corner of the country where everyone is assumed to be literate in all things technical and computers are issued to newborns*. I lived there until a few years back but am too old to have received a PC at birth.

Nevertheless, about 15 years ago I set up a couple of security cameras attached to a computer. An image was stored every time there was movement. Total cost was about $150 which means you could do as well today for a fraction of that. You would need to find some cameras ($15-50) and a video capture board ($50-100? with software) and have some idea what you're doing but not necessarily a whole lot.

Or do the game camera thing.

*I hope everybody realizes I'm making that part up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by