Camp Fire smoke & ash - Chickens’ nares bloody/runny?

Hermit

Songster
6 Years
Mar 24, 2015
Colusa & Sac counties, California
I’ve got one chicken with blood traces on both sides, and so far I’ve been thoroughly wet-sneezed all over by another.
We aren’t far from the Camp Fire, but we are far enough to be out of danger. I’ve been out every day in makeshift smoke & particulate gear to clean cages and refresh everyone’s feed and water. We’ve continued letting them all out, because their current setup is designed for full day free-run of the whole property, but limited their time out to half an hour.
I’m worried that evencthat short amount of time has gotten them in trouble.
Their cages have been carefully wrapped every day since the smoke became visible in the distance, as this isn’t our first fire in that direction. There’s nothing we could do to fully protect them from the smoke, so we limited it as best we could, and made sure ash & other particulate couldn’t drift in.

What else can I do? How can I help the ones that are having respiratory issues?
To be clear, the one that sneezed on me had been in my lap for over half an hour, inside the house, resting peacefully. She then sat up, sneezed several times (spraying my shirt and my arm), kept wiping her face on my shirt, and started open-beak breathing. She eventually returned to breathing normally, and I noticed her crop was very small. She started eating when I put her back, but she hasn’t been eating much lately. Aside from that, all the chickens (even those who have respiratory problems) have been very active, perky, etc.

I’ve got one chicken with blood traces on both sides, and so far I’ve been thoroughly wet-sneezed all over by another.
We aren’t far from the Camp Fire, but we are far enough to be out of danger. I’ve been out every day in makeshift smoke & particulate gear to clean cages and refresh everyone’s feed and water. We’ve continued letting them all out, because their current setup is designed for full day free-run of the whole property, but limited their time out to half an hour.
Their cages have been carefully wrapped every day since the smoke became visible in the distance, as this isn’t our first fire in that direction. There’s nothing we could do to fully protect them from the smoke, so we limited it as best we could, and made sure ash & other particulate couldn’t drift in.

To be clear, the one that sneezed on me had been in my lap for over half an hour, inside the house, resting peacefully. She then sat up, sneezed several times (spraying my shirt and my arm), kept wiping her face on my shirt, and started open-beak breathing. She eventually returned to breathing normally, and I noticed her crop was very small. She started eating when I put her back, but she hasn’t been eating much lately. Aside from that, all the chickens (even those who have respiratory problems) have been very active, perky, etc.

I can't exactly help you :(

Make sure you constantly clean out the water- you don't want ash in their! Same with food!

I'm in Butte County, so its a bit harder, but luckily, my girls are ok!

I can't exactly help you :(

Make sure you constantly clean out the water- you don't want ash in their! Same with food!

I'm in Butte County, so its a bit harder, but luckily, my girls are ok!

You and your girls are in my thoughts! I’m in Colusa County. (Moving here to family property from Sacramento, so I’m kind of half in, half out.)
We’ve currently got a couple refugee friends on prop who had to evacuate. It breaks my heart, hearing them talk about it. One is worrying about his girls, he couldn’t find a way to load up 26 chickens on his own (everyone else he knows evacuated ahead of him without stopping by, and he’s older & not great physically) so he had to just let them out and hope for the best, and wondering if his garden will be gone. Some of my chickens came from him, so I’m at least able to give *him* some peace. He’s able to spend time with them, and keeps talking about how beautiful the rooster turned out.

You and your girls are in my thoughts! I’m in Colusa County. (Moving here to family property from Sacramento, so I’m kind of half in, half out.)
We’ve currently got a couple refugee friends on prop who had to evacuate. It breaks my heart, hearing them talk about it. One is worrying about his girls, he couldn’t find a way to load up 26 chickens on his own (everyone else he knows evacuated ahead of him without stopping by, and he’s older & not great physically) so he had to just let them out and hope for the best, and wondering if his garden will be gone. Some of my chickens came from him, so I’m at least able to give *him* some peace. He’s able to spend time with them, and keeps talking about how beautiful the rooster turned out.

Poor guy :( The fire has taken soooo much! It's horrible! They've found over 300 :0 chickens, over 50 horses, and 25+ goats! They found much, much more animals though!

Poor guy :( The fire has taken soooo much! It's horrible! They've found over 300 :0 chickens, over 50 horses, and 25+ goats! They found much, much more animals though!

:hit

This is one of the two roos I got from him, he kept going over all day to see him.
5B5A4B29-0F19-43F8-A90E-F8B0A6D4D815.jpeg 2C86BF5B-0A3A-4C4F-8516-B8C04A66CB21.jpeg

I'm in Sacramento County, and I am so so so heart broken for everyone caught up in that. The news footage is the stuff of nightmares! I wish there was something I could do... I am sure I can mobilize my students to start a drive of aome sort tomorrow. I just feel so helpless....

Do a Bake-Sale or Fundraiser for the victims!

How many chickens do you have? Is there any chance of bringing them inside somewhere (garage?) with an air filter for several hours to give their little systems a break?

Back
Top Bottom