Campbell/Indian runner drake with distended/bloated belly?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hblovesclemson, Dec 8, 2014.

1. hblovesclemson

hblovesclemson Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    Florida
    Like the title says, he's (I think) a campbell/indian runner mix who is walking around more horizontal than usual with a bloated lower belly. He looked fine yesterday. He almost looks like he's constipated, that's how he's walking around. He is a part of a pair, and usually he leads his lady around, but today he is kind of lagging behind, following behind her. Should I be concerned? Is this normal or could something be seriously wrong with him?

Does anyone have any idea what this sounds like?

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    What are you feeding them?

3. hblovesclemson

Aug 15, 2014
    Florida
    Well he's a wild duck, but I do feed them duck feed. I know he gets bread every once in a while around the neighborhood. He forages like a normal duck. That's all I know of his diet, but I'm just worried that somehow he swallowed something that he can't pass or something. It is a bit chilly outside, if that matters at all?

4. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    he could literally be dieing from fatty liver diease as you speak, no way to fix other than immediate surgery, its from the bread

5. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

It doesn't sound like he is eating copious amounts of bread.

are you positive its a drake?
    You said he is wild, can u catch him and feel if its a hard mass or soft and fluid like?

6. hblovesclemson

Aug 15, 2014
    Florida
    I don't really see that as a possibility, as he looked 100% normal yesterday. I find it hard to believe such a change in condition can occur literally overnight.

He is most definitely a drake. He has the little curl at the end of his tail feathers and everything. I don't know much about his breed, because he and his mate are the only ones around here like them, they are the odd ones out of a bunch of muscovies and mallards. They've been around for a little over a year and I don't know where they came from but I have suspected that someone did not want them and released them.
    Here are some pictures of him, in case his breed matters at all: (Note - this is a picture of him as he normally looks, not of his current mystery affliction)

[​IMG]
    him (left) and his mate

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the amount of bread he is eating... if he was eating copious amounts of bread, as I do know a lot of neighbors like to feed them, do you think that could be making him ill? Like I said above, he looked normal yesterday.

It won't be easy but I can certainly try to catch him... he practically falls into my lap sometimes trying to get some of the duck feed I'm handing out... but then again he is acting differently today and I don't know if he'll do that. He is a very active duck normally, always running back and forth around the yard and chasing muscovies like he owns the place. All things he was literally doing yesterday afternoon, and he had no bloated belly either.

7. buff goose guy

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    fatty liver disease does form overnight, or it did for several people who brought their ducks in with the illness at my familys vet office, but yes bread makes them ill and shortens life

8. hblovesclemson

Aug 15, 2014
    Florida
    I didn't catch him but I did get close enough to feel the area and it felt hard.

I don't know, usually other symptoms (however subtle) of a fatty liver would be observed before the drastic change.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    He isn't a wild duck he is a domesticated duck that has been dumped in the wild, could he have eaten something toxic there is a link about flushes to use if that maybe the case, toxins can be something rotten veggie or animal, poison, also lead or metal, duck are attracted to shiny objects, Is there anyway to give him his own water source because the antidote for toxins has to be administered in water.He is such a gorgeous duck his mate is beautiful too, I hope he'll be okay. Bread is not a healthy food for water fowl, most don't know that. maybe you can educate your neighbors and encourage them to buy or ya'll go into together and buy feed appropriate for feeding water fowl, even moldy feed including bread can be very injurious to them. I'll get the link.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-falling-weight-loss-lethargy#post_13244769 both good info since your caring for so many.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  10. hblovesclemson

Aug 15, 2014
    Florida
    Thank you so much for the links!

I really hope nobody in the neighborhood has been giving them moldy anything... I really like to think people would know better, since mold+human consumption=not so good, but I know you have some people who will be like, 'Well I can't eat this moldy bread, but I don't want it to go to waste so here I'll just give it to the ducks'. I live in a gated neighborhood that has its own monthly magazine that goes out to all the residents so I will see if I can get some guidelines printed in there of what should not be fed to the ducks for their safety.

Yes I could get him his own water, if I had to. Sometimes he is the only one in the yard and it would be the perfect time to give him whatever he needs. But for what its worth I have been able to catch him several times and hold him in my lap to feel his belly, so if I have to take him to a vet at least I know its possible to catch him. I've even located a nearby vet who is certified aviary, so if I have to I can take him to get checked out. That's if all else fails though, since vet care can be quite pricy. But I've made a habit of feeling his belly at least every other day... it feels very hard. He really seems to be in discomfort, and I only wish I knew the cause so I could know if there is anything to give him.

Which leads to a question I'm hoping you can answer: If I give him an antidote for toxins, say charcoal or something like that, if it turns out that it is not relevant to his problem will it hurt him? I'd only be willing to give him something if I knew that 'it couldn't hurt,' you know? But it has been over a week that he's had this belly bloat and I don't know if that is a long enough time where you can rule out toxins because... wouldn't it have passed through his system by now?

As always, I greatly appreciate your help! Here are some photos of him with the bloated belly:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by