camper travel trailer coops? PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jnjross, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    has anyone used a camper or old rv for a coop? friend gave us one of those slide in (truck) camper for a coop it has reel out windows (crank open). pic would be greaat. advise on a chicky door on this thing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like it can be done. Let us know what you decide to do.

3. leghorn dude

leghorn dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Conroe tx
    i bought an old i think 1973 26 ft travel trailer for $200 was planning on fixin it up to stay in while i build a house but i ended up using it to hold my brooders they are great good luck with yours oh does it have the screen door still in it if so just replace the metal bottom with wood cut a hole the size you want for the chicken door and your good to go just close the other door to keep the predators out at night

4. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    it has a steel door it use to have glass louvers but someone riveted a sheet of alum
    over it on both sides, so should i keep the door

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  6. leghorn dude

Feb 1, 2008
    Conroe tx
    with that setup maybe a doggy door if its in a run to keep the predators out or put a board on hinges with a lock to cover the doggy door at night

7. leghorn dude

Feb 1, 2008
    Conroe tx
    cool pics help that looks like a great coop well eventually but it doesnt look to need much just take out a window put the nest box in its place (not necessary but helpful) and a door of some sort nothin major there couple roost and bam you got a nice coop

8. tktagalongtek

tktagalongtek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm running into close to the same question here....I've got a 1970 camper trailer that we haven't used in years for anything but extra storage. Found some serious problems with the existing chicken house on our property while cleaning it out, and started wondering if I could convert the camper to a coop. My husband says we'd have to take the axle off and set it on the ground--I'm not thinking we'd have to do that and that it would be more predator proof left up in the air--I could always just add a ramp to let my girls in and out...are you planning on leaving yours on the trailer or setting it on the ground? Does anyone else out there have any experience with this?

9. soimcrazy

soimcrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2007
    Dinwiddie Virginia
    And this way you can take the chickens on vacation with you !![​IMG]

10. leghorn dude

Feb 1, 2008
    Conroe tx
    as far as the trave trailor thing i tend to build my coops about 2 feet off the ground in case of flooding or anything works just fine ive actually got a 1973 travel trailor that i keep my brooders in and store any extra supplies works great and you can sometimes find a great deat on them i picked mine up for 200 its about 30 ft long

Last edited: May 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by