"Camping Out" at the feed store

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bawkbawkbawk, May 3, 2009.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

So we stopped by the feed store yesterday to make sure our June 4 order is still on target.

I asked what time they open as I've read here that you're supposed to get there right away to pick up the chicks.

They told me that people CAMP OUT in the parking lot for HOURS before the store opens!!

I've never even stood in line for concert tickets, and now I have to CAMP OUT to get my baby chicks???? [​IMG]

Is it like this everywhere?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

A bit over exaggerated on the stores part I think...

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    At our feed store they unpack the chicks at 7AM. The store opens at 8AM. Even if you have a reserved order, the chicks are doled out in the order that you arrive. So if I've ordered 6 sussex and I'm the last to arrive at 3PM...I get whatever 6 sussex are left. And if some are DOA, I may not get all 6. So at our feed store it pays to go early.

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Some of the feed stores in our area do not take "orders". They just tell you when the breed you want will be in the shipment. Then its "first come, first served". Sometimes all the chicks are gone by 10 AM.

Of the feed stores that do take "orders", the soonest that you can get chicks is 60 to 90 days in the future. One of the local hatcheries is booked up until the end of SEPTEMBER!!

5. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I have never heard anything so absurd as having something that you ordered and presumably put a deposit on being sold out from under you. If this were any other product, would they treat you the same way?

6. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:This is exactly how it was for my chick pick up....I got to the parking lot REALLY early in the morning (before they opened) had packed snacks in the car for my kids to eat 'breakfast' there in the parking lot, etc...they were still in jammies...and YES it was like a ONE DAY SALE at nordstroms...people fighting for their rightfull place in line...crazy...I luckily was first and so I got my chicks, but some did not...the place opened at 8 and by 8:45 all the chicks were GONE

7. xtremevermonter

xtremevermonter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    That sounds like a good reason not to order through a feed store. Try checking out online hatcheries that specialize in shipping chickies.

8. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

The feed store I go to says that this year is crazy for chicks - big demand! Not sure why the surge but I ordered my chicks last week, they come tomorrow. They do put your name on a list but to get the ones you want, you have to get there early/ 2 weeks ago, the chicks came at 7am, store opened at 8am and ALL the chicks were gone by 10am.... We'll see what tomorrow brings - I am optimistic and excited. I really enjoy the feed store I go to and the have been very helpful through my chickie purchase.

9. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I think that the crazy demand for chickens is due to the economy. People are returning to their grass roots and becoming self-sufficient. Owning chickens for most assures them that there will be eggs and meat at the very least. A lot of folks are just now starting to garden as well. Those that have never done it before.

Myself, I would rather hatch my own. I've had bad luck with the roo to pullet ratio with straight run chicks before and even though by hatching, I'll probably still end up with more roos than I need, I get the satisfaction of raising them from egg up. I hope to one day be able to take one out and eat it....but I'm not there yet. They've all been named.

10. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I'll stop back at the feed store again (they were WILDLY busy when I was there yesterday - WHAT recession?) when I can talk to them and find out if they're going to set my order aside or not.

I've also read that the later in the season you get chicks, the less robust they are, so I'm already a little concerned about the whole thing. Can't get them sooner because I'm going to be out of town for more than two weeks this month and want to be around for at least a solid month once I have them.

Too bad I didn't get the chicken bug in December instead of March...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by