Campylobacter

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Amango, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Amango

Amango Hatching

Jan 28, 2014
    My 2 year old was recently diagnosed with Campy. I really feel that she probably got it from our chickens. Do I get rid of my chickens? What should I do?

2. Amango

Amango Hatching

Jan 28, 2014
    I've been trying to find info on whether or not Campylobacter is common in chickens or if I should get rid if them. I do have kids under the age of 5. I've had them for 2 years now and have had no problem. Does anyone know if all chickens carry it!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pretty much all chickens have it, it doesn't affect them unless they're immune-compromised, and it's not a problem most of the time. Just teach your kids to wash their hands or use some antiseptic gel after handling the chickens. I believe I had a case of it when my first chicks were in a brooder in the house for 6 weeks, and I was washing feeders and waterers daily.

4. Amango

Amango Hatching

Jan 28, 2014
    OK good information. It's just hard to keep a 2 year old from eating things like snow.:). Just wondering if the risk is worth it when I have little ones? If anyone else has info or personal experiences I would love to hear about it. I love My chickens but right now I'm wondering if I should get rid of them and start over when my girls are older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by