Campylobacter

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Amango, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Amango

Amango New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    My 2 year old was recently diagnosed with Campy. I really feel that she probably got it from our chickens. Do I get rid of my chickens? What should I do?

2. Amango

Amango New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    I've been trying to find info on whether or not Campylobacter is common in chickens or if I should get rid if them. I do have kids under the age of 5. I've had them for 2 years now and have had no problem. Does anyone know if all chickens carry it!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pretty much all chickens have it, it doesn't affect them unless they're immune-compromised, and it's not a problem most of the time. Just teach your kids to wash their hands or use some antiseptic gel after handling the chickens. I believe I had a case of it when my first chicks were in a brooder in the house for 6 weeks, and I was washing feeders and waterers daily.

4. Amango

Amango New Egg

Jan 28, 2014
    OK good information. It's just hard to keep a 2 year old from eating things like snow.:). Just wondering if the risk is worth it when I have little ones? If anyone else has info or personal experiences I would love to hear about it. I love My chickens but right now I'm wondering if I should get rid of them and start over when my girls are older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by