Can’t get rid of lice infestation on chickens

kperki

Songster
6 Years
Jun 19, 2014
Central Coast, California
We have been trying to treat a lice infestation for quite some time. We have been treating with Sevin dust on the chickens and then again in 10 days. We also took everything out of the coop sprayed the coop with Gordon’s spray but we did not repeat the spray in thecoop 10 days later, were we supposed to? Also we put on the chickens when dusting the ivermectin pour on for cattle and followed dosing directions we found on here. We repeated in 10 days. We still didn’t get rid of them so we did the same process again.

I just read we can spray Gordon’s on the chickens and I didn’t know that. Also said to use oil as it sticks better on tractor supplies q and a section on it. What oil do you use?

I also just saw round worms on the dropping board. I have some safeguard paste I was going to use for that.

Can anyone help me out here as to my steps and best to use as I thought I was doing it right. I have about 40 chickens.

Thank you!

For the lice you can spray the birds with the Gordon's 10%. Use 5 ml per quart.
For the large roundworms one tube if Safeguard paste is not enough to treat 40 birds, so it might be more economical to get a bottle of Wazine instead. Use one ounce (30 ml) per gallon for one day. Repeat in 10 days.

If you decide to use Safeguard, go get a bottle of the liquid for goats and use it instead of the paste.

I have recently found that sevin dust is not working very well on lice. I would use the permethrin 10 spray on the chickens every 10 days at least twice to get the live lice, and then the newly hatched ones before they reproduce. The coop should be sprayed at 10 day intervals as well. Here is another good link about lice and mite treatment:
https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

x2 with the permethrin 10% liquid concentrate. Two years ago my birds had a minor case of lice and I used sevin dust on them. I was shocked that it failed to kill the lice. I went and bought poultry dust containing permethrin and dusted my birds, It killed the lice.
I also cleaned out the coop and mixed a liquid solution of the 10% permethrin and sprayed inside the coop, nests and roosts included. No more lice.

I went through this again last week. I saw a few lice on a roost and went after them with permethrin dust on my birds and liquid sprayed in the coop. The liquid concentrate when sprayed according to directions will keep the coop parasite free for up to 30 days. I usually redust the birds in 10 days.

vermectin pour on for cattle and followed dosing directions we found on here.
I just saw this.

If you used the "drop" method you probably didn't give enough. I use 0.5 ml (1/2 cc) per five pounds and that should treat lice and large roundworms.

Note that none of these drugs are "labeled" or "approved" for use in laying hens so there is an egg withdrawal time if that sort of thing concerns you. :D

... I would use the permethrin 10 spray on the chickens every 10 days at least twice to get the live lice, and then the newly hatched ones before they reproduce. The coop should be sprayed at 10 day intervals as well...

By painting the interior wood joints, splits, knots. cracks, and roost poles with used motor oil to which Permethrin has been added. While this won't control lice I will do wonders for roost mites. Also you won't need to use as much insecticide in the future.

Back
Top Bottom