Can’t persuade molting hen to eat

flutemomc

Chirping
May 21, 2016
We currently have a 3 and 1/2 year old Rhode Island Red (Henrietta) that is going through a rough molt. She started with a decreased appetite last Friday but acting normal otherwise, digging scratching, talking to us, drinking, just a decrease in appetite. Yesterday we found her sitting in the run with a darker comb than usual. Rushed her to the vet who confirmed everything else was ok it was just her molt was uncomfortable and causing lethargy and a lack of appetite. We are struggling to get her to eat anything, she will gobble up blueberries and most other fruits and vegetables but doesn’t seem to want any grains or protein rich foods (we have tried eggs, mealworms) that would help her through this molt. We have put rooster booster in the water to get a few nutrients and electrolytes in her. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get her to eat more or any foods you have tried with success! Also if anyone has tips on helping her through this molt, this is the worst one we have seen!

I have tried scrambled egg but not hard boiled; I will try that after lunch and see if that can entice her! We’ve tried making a mash with blueberries which was disregarded but have not tried canned tuna!

Nutri drench may help also, it's formulated to be rapidly absorbed and often will help boost appetite.
2202048.jpg

Back
Top Bottom