Can’t stand up properly

Karenr10292002

Hatching
Mar 23, 2021
I’m really new taking care of baby chicks. He is 5 days old and I found him today face down. I carefully picked him up to see what was wrong and he seemed otherwise healthy other than the fact that he does not stand up straight. It seems like he is not using one of his legs or something. I don’t want to pull on his legs or anything he’s fairly young and I’m afraid I’m going to hurt him. Do you guys have any clue what this could be!? I left him with his mom so that he can still be kept warm.

I’m really new taking care of baby chicks. He is 5 days old and I found him today face down. I carefully picked him up to see what was wrong and he seemed otherwise healthy other than the fact that he does not stand up straight. It seems like he is not using one of his legs or something. I don’t want to pull on his legs or anything he’s fairly young and I’m afraid I’m going to hurt him. Do you guys have any clue what this could be!? I left him with his mom so that he can still be kept warm.
O.K. I have had this. It's a brain infection. What you need is Amoxillin, same as penecillin. Put the dose into a tiny syringe, and feed it to him (in his mouth) every few hours, as instructed by your vet. Also hold him up to let him feed. I thought I had lost my chick, but, after 2 days, he was trying to get on his feet, and the following day he was back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom