Can 1 month olds eat cracked corn?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ResidentEvilRock, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ResidentEvilRock

ResidentEvilRock Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    My chicks will be 1 month old on sunday. I have 100 of them. Chick starter is starting to get pricey. Would it be okay if I mixed scratch feed in with their chick starter? They are pretty big now. Also, I am putting them outside today since they'll be 1 month old. Do they still need a heat lamp?

2. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    What temp is the brooder/coop? or temps outside? Maybe switch to 100w bulb. I can't remember how many feathers they have at 1 month. If they are big, then depending on the temps you can probably get by with a light bulb, instead of heat lamp.

They can eat the cracked corn, but you will need to supply grit...either purchase or put a scoop of gravel/dirt for them to eat.

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I'm sure they can, I personally wouldn't do it, but that's just me. If you do decide to, be sure to give the chickies some grit and they should be fine [​IMG]

4. ResidentEvilRock

ResidentEvilRock Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    For their first month, they've had a 60 watt light bulb and it has worked fine. Today it is 65 degrees outside. I may just turn the lamp at night. I don't think they need it in the day time. It's really warm here now.

5. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    its okay, but its fattening so I wouldn't feed much to them.

also, I read they shouldnt eat cracked corn til they're 10 months old.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    No. Cracked corn is not a complete diet, it doesn't have NEARLY enough protein to keep those chickies growing well.

Cracked corn really shouldn't be fed as anything more than a treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by