Can 1 month olds eat cracked corn?

ResidentEvilRock

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 19, 2008
My chicks will be 1 month old on sunday. I have 100 of them. Chick starter is starting to get pricey. Would it be okay if I mixed scratch feed in with their chick starter? They are pretty big now. Also, I am putting them outside today since they'll be 1 month old. Do they still need a heat lamp?

What temp is the brooder/coop? or temps outside? Maybe switch to 100w bulb. I can't remember how many feathers they have at 1 month. If they are big, then depending on the temps you can probably get by with a light bulb, instead of heat lamp.

They can eat the cracked corn, but you will need to supply grit...either purchase or put a scoop of gravel/dirt for them to eat.

I'm sure they can, I personally wouldn't do it, but that's just me. If you do decide to, be sure to give the chickies some grit and they should be fine
smile.png

For their first month, they've had a 60 watt light bulb and it has worked fine. Today it is 65 degrees outside. I may just turn the lamp at night. I don't think they need it in the day time. It's really warm here now.

its okay, but its fattening so I wouldn't feed much to them.

also, I read they shouldnt eat cracked corn til they're 10 months old.

Last edited:
No. Cracked corn is not a complete diet, it doesn't have NEARLY enough protein to keep those chickies growing well.

Cracked corn really shouldn't be fed as anything more than a treat.

Back
Top Bottom