Can 1 type of duck food be used for ducks under and over 18 weeks of age?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vk05, Feb 24, 2015.

1. vk05

vk05 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    I know this is a chicken forum, but have gotten a lot of useful information from this website regarding ducks as well. I have ducks living outside that are over 18 week old and therefore eating layana pellets as suggested by Purina for ducks age 18+ weeks. I also have ducks living in the house still that are under 18 weeks old and eating Purina start and grow food. I want to put the younger ducks outside with the older ones before 18 weeks of age and would have a hard time keeping them apart and out of each other's food. I am wondering if I can just feed them all either the layana pellets or start and grow until they are all over 18 weeks old and I can give them all layana pellets from there out. I'm not sure if it makes more sense to give the young ones layana pellets early or have the older ones go back to start and grow feed. Any advice?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I switched my Runners from starter crumbles to grower pellets between 2 and 3 weeks of age. I recommend a slow shift for the youngers up to grower.

A word from experience from others I have read here - if there is a significant difference in size with the ducklings, there can be some serious injuries. Be extremely cautious and please do not just put them together and leave them unsupervised.

You may want to separate the area so they can see each other but be separated by a temporary fence at least for a while.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. vk05

vk05 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    I won't be putting the younger ducks out until they are full grown around 7 weeks. I have them on the flock raiser feed (I wrote start and grow before but that isn't what I am giving them) and I know it is recommended to switch from the flock raiser to the layana pellets at 18 weeks for egg laying. I am trying to find out if it is bad to give ducks under 18 weeks of age the layana pellets early and if so, would it be better to go back to the flock raiser from the layana pellets for my 18+ week old ducks so that they can all live together on the same feed.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My apologies for misunderstanding. The layena is not good for non laying ducks, so perhaps you can use grower with free choice oyster shell on the side. That seems to work for a number of people.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You can do an all flock or a grower some growers can be found in crumble form. I don't even use layer here with the ducks as i often have babies(scovies who don't stop breeding lol) and drakes they aren't about to lay eggs, ever.

6. vk05

vk05 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    Great! I will do all flock raiser then give oyster shells on the side for the older females to pick at. I have read when they are laying they crave calcium and know to eat the shells for it. Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by