Can 1 type of duck food be used for ducks under and over 18 weeks of age?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vk05, Feb 24, 2015.

1. vk05

vk05 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    I know this is a chicken forum, but have gotten a lot of useful information from this website regarding ducks as well. I have ducks living outside that are over 18 week old and therefore eating layana pellets as suggested by Purina for ducks age 18+ weeks. I also have ducks living in the house still that are under 18 weeks old and eating Purina start and grow food. I want to put the younger ducks outside with the older ones before 18 weeks of age and would have a hard time keeping them apart and out of each other's food. I am wondering if I can just feed them all either the layana pellets or start and grow until they are all over 18 weeks old and I can give them all layana pellets from there out. I'm not sure if it makes more sense to give the young ones layana pellets early or have the older ones go back to start and grow feed. Any advice?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

it makes more sense for all of them to be put on the baby/starter feed, and when you run out of that switch to the adult feed.

The reason to do it that way, is the extra calcium in layer feeds is not good for little growing ducklings. (or chicks, or whatever baby)

3. vk05

vk05 New Egg

Feb 24, 2015
    That makes sense I will do that. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by