can 2 coops share a run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dar, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I am quickly running out of space in my coop.. I want to build another coop at the other end of my run so that both coops can share one run.. I am thinking this way I only have to secure 1 run, deal with 1 set of electric fencing 1 overhead netting... makes things a LOT easier. Yes I will have 2 coops to clean... 2 sets of waterers and feeders ect.. but the run is the hardest to secure and make predator proof

[​IMG]

this is a pic of my run... the section on the left is the side wall that will stay... the section on the right the back wall will go or open up for access from the new coop... **PLEASE NOTE this was a pic from last year the run is much more secure then what it looks like here

do you think this will work?

will the chickens all just huddle into the older coop or will they be nosey and go to the new coop?

can I train say the bantams to go to the new coop (which will be smaller) and have my standards go to the bigger coop?

what other suggestions do you have to make this work?... I really only want 1 run.... I just spent about $500 on netting for the top of my coop that is rated at 150lb test strength to go over the top to slow down the raccoons... I just ordered 150 feet of electric fencing... i cant go spending more on netting and fencing... DH will take my CC if i do...LOL

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I have two coops with two flocks of hens/rooster, one older and one younger, sharing a run with no problem. See My BYC Page.

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    so they each just instinctively go to the right coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by