can 2 day old chicks eat crickets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by opiyfz450, Feb 21, 2008.

1. opiyfz450

opiyfz450 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    southwestern pa.
    Just like the post says, my wife brought home some small crickets from pet smart, can 2 day old chicks eat these!

2. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    my chicks ate grasshoppers at that age, i just threw in a couple and they chased each other to get them.

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I say throw the creepy little bugs in and stand back !!!

Julie

4. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    I pretty much have stuck with chick starter food when they are young and in the brooder indoors. I've always waited until I put my chicks outdoors where they can eat sand for grit to help them digest things like insects. I've read that there is the possibility of an impacted crop if you feed young chicks items that they need grit in their gizzard in order to grind up and digest. I'm sure that many have gotten away with feeding all sorts of foods to young chicks, but I have never wanted to take the chance. If your chicks are outdoors or have access to grit then perhaps you could offer them more substantial food items than the starter food. You can also make a mixture of plain yogurt and some starter food and they will be all over that.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't take chances with anything other than chick feed either.

Jody

6. MH37125

MH37125 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    New Mexico
    Old thread but....... Just threw some crickets in with our 5 day olds and they went buck wild crazy, it was hilarious! The Buff Orps really went crazy for them, our Sussex grabbed one and ran in circles for about 10 minutes with the rest after her. Threw a little chick grit in there earlier for them.

I'd have to say, chicks and crickets is very entertaining :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by