Can 3 day old chicks drink from a horizontal nipple?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HexHinton, Mar 28, 2015.

1. HexHinton

HexHinton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Salcha, Alaska
    We brought home 12 barred rocks today and attempted to teach them how to use the horizontal nipples. After 6 hours it seemed as though they just couldn't grasp the concept. Am I trying to start this too early? Should I wait a week? I'm scared they will die in the night if I don't give them another water source.

2. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    If I remember right they should be 4-6 weeks old so they can develop their neck muscles a bit before trying. I know others have done it with day olds without a problem. I did mine at 4 weeks and they caught on quick. Others may differ but if it were me I may wait a few days or so and try again. They learn quickly just remember to take away any other water source.

3. carynlg

carynlg New Egg

Mar 10, 2015
    I agree, I started mine at about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks on a nipple waterer. Took the about 2 hrs but once the first girl figured it out the other followed quickly behind her. I sat with them and tapped on the end of it to get their attention and show that water dropped as I did that. Amazing how little waste and mess there is now! Totally worth it! Just keep trying periodily and allowing periods where they can access fresh water easily if they don't catch on. Good luck!

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    3 days old chicks are still young. I would wait at least 10 days and older.

5. HexHinton

HexHinton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Salcha, Alaska
    I gave them open water last night before bed and decided to let them get a little bigger. Thanks for the advice. I scoured the Internet and had zero luck fining the answer.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I just started a new batch of chicks on the HN and found that at one week the smaller birds were still having trouble getting water but by day 10 Every body could use them just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by