can 3 month old hens eat the same as laying hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tamidon, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Tamidon

Tamidon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm adding new hens to my coop. Before this I had a friend who had a spare coop for raising the pullets separate from the laying hens that we both could use, but she moved. I've never added hens that were this young. I really cant figure out how to feed them different feed, so will layer feed hurt them?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You don't feed them differently, simply put.

Feed them a feed they all can eat, which is any kind of feed except layer. Give them Grower/Starter/Raiser, etc, anything.

Offer the hens shells on the side. The young won't pick at them much. Layer is merely regular feed with the calcium of shells, actually calcium carbonate, already ground into the feed. That much calcium content is fine for a layer dumping an egg every day, but is not recommended for younger, non laying birds. Simple as pie.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I agree. Layer feed is bad for chickens under 20 weeks so if that is what you feed the full grown hens, feed the non medicated non layer feed to all chickens.

4. Tamidon

Tamidon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, that is the plan I'm going to go with. I'll just make sure to keep the tuna can of oyster shell full :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by