Can 3 roos live happily together?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farm Chic, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Farm Chic

Farm Chic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    I have a black silkie roo, an OEG bantam roo and I guess now a golden laced polish roo. Do you think that all 3 could be happy together? the GLP roo seems to be pretty scared when the other roos come near and it has yet to crow. the GLP will often be found hiding under all of the hens!! Tell me what you think because I do not want to get rid of the GLP as it is the youngest and I have had the other roos for longer. Thanks!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    How many hens do you have? You'll have fewer problems, theoretically, if you have enough hens for all of them to share between them because they won't be fighting so much over them. About 10-12 hens per rooster is a good amount.

The other thing you can do is keep your roosters separate from the hens in a sort of rooster "bachelor pad." Without hens to fight over, they should get along better.

Do you know which rooster is the dominant rooster in your flock?

3. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, three roosters can live happily together. But only if two of them are GAY![​IMG]

4. Farm Chic

Farm Chic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    I have 17 hens, 2 are bantams, 1 is a black silkie and the others are wyandottes, dominiques, plymouth barred rocks, polish, cochin, australorp and orpington. The OEG roo was dominant for the first month and then after that, the black silkie roo realised that he was bigger and now he is the "man".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by