Can 3 roos live together in harmony in a coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Leisa1968, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Leisa1968

Leisa1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    I have 3 little roos a little over 4 months old. They are getting toooo aggressive with my girls. I want to take them out into their own coop. Is it healthy for them? Will they get along? and do they NEED to be with the girls?
    Thanks

2. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    They will be good together. Especially if they grew up together.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Roosters can live together peacefully, especially if they grew up together, but there mustn't be any hens with/near them then. Would it be possible for you to put each rooster in it's own pen with it's own group of hens?

4. Leisa1968

Sep 30, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    They DID grow up together. The coop I was planning on putting them in is attached to the girls coop. Not a good idea?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They'll be fine. Bachelor pads are a fine way to manage a flock with too many roosters. They'll probably try to get to the girls through the fence at first, but they'll eventually understand it's futile.

6. Leisa1968

Sep 30, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks so much for the help![​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Just because roosters were raised together doesn't guarantee they will get along. It depends on the individuals involved.

A couple years ago, I discovered I had two cockerels in a batch of eight chicks. As soon as I figured out they were boys, around age four months, I separated them from the girls. They had their own coop and their own pen which had one common fence with the girls' pen.

By age six months, the two boys began to have fights in their coop. So I partitioned the coop with poultry wire so each boy had his own side with his own perch. During the day, I let one free-range while the other remained penned. Even still, they continued to have vicious fights through the chicken wire partition in the coop. I hung a curtain over the partition so they couldn't see each other. But during the day, the one out free-ranging would spend most of his time challenging the one inside the pen. Neither roo had access to the hens.

Finally, the problem was "solved" unhappily by the outside roo on a certain day getting killed by dogs who were visiting when their owner neglected to keep them controlled.

You run a very real risk that one or more of your roos will take a dislike to each other, and no matter what you do, you aren't going to be able to change their minds. My advice would be to re-home all roosters you don't really want. If they decide they need to fight, you end up with serious injuries to deal with.

8. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    I have all my roos and hens together. They dont fight. They didnt even grow up together. There was a few fights when i first introduced them together but that was it. They all get along. Mine free range. So you will see 1 roo with some hens in one part of the yard and then another roo with his hens. I have 4 roos and its pretty much the same pattern. lol

9. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Yes make a bachelor pad and when you want to get some chicks, take your chosen rooster out and put him with the girls. But make sure you don't have all 3 with the same girls.
    You could also put each boy with a few girls in their own area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by