1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can 3 week old Pekins have Chick Grower?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CashmereSussex, Apr 22, 2007.

1. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    okies well today i got my 2 3 week old pekins from our local markets and i found out when i got home i have ran out of Chick starter so i have to feed them Chick Grower, will this be okay?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I dont think it is ideal for them...im not for sure. Might be ok for a day or so, untill you can get more starter. Anyone else know???

3. beliabeans

beliabeans Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Quacksvill
    its protine is best for them as starter grow , keep them on that for 2 months

4. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Dont worry about it i have fed many of my birds chick grower some of them even from day 1 it wont be a big issue. Its recomended you use starter for so long thats all.

5. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    You will need to supplement the chick grower by adding niacin to their water. There is niacin in waterfowl food not sure that there is an adequate level in chick grower - you may wan to check the bag to see if it is added already. Also, the food needs to be non-medicated for ducks - I'm guessing that Grower is not medicated?
    Good luck!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think I switched from starter to grower at about three weeks, actually. And yes, if you're using chick feed, add some niacin. It should be inexpensive, and may help the ducklings avoid neurological disorders (doesn't happen to all of them, but it could be a problem).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by