Can 4 day olds have grapes?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SassyKat6181, Sep 19, 2010.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    What other kinds of snacks can I give them now? They have been catching and eating flies. Thanks

2. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    mine loved moths from day 2... so funny to watch them. I'd pull one wing off [​IMG] then drop it in with the babies...they soon learned that when I called "chick, chick" there was a tasty moth for them to chase down and munch on.

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Make sure they have sand to act as grit if you are feeding things other than chick feed.

In answer to your question, yes they CAN have grapes, but I would be cautious of feeding them something that is mostly sugar during these crucial growth days. I would go with chopped greens or small meal worms first. Chop anything you give them up well so none of them chokes.

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Ah...that reminds me of anothe question I had.....what kind of grit to do I get for them? Can I get something at Petco in their bird department?

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, there should be some there. Any type of clean sand will do except Repti-cal sand which is sold as bedding for lizards. You don't want that as it is too high in calcium for chicks.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year we were overrun with moths, and i had some containers from buying crickets for the chickens, so i went out at night and filled the container with moths i could catch. the next morning, the moths weren't very active, so i was able to just take the lid off, and i'd either set the bowl on the ground for a chicken feeding frenzy, or i would grab the moths 1 by 1 with pliers, and hold them out to the chickens. (i used the pliers so i wouldn't get pecked lol)

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by