Can 4 eggs supply enough eggs for a 7 people family?

EmeraldRuby

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Florida
I was wondering if 4 eggs can supply enough eggs for a 7 people family. My mom said if it does not than we need to get more and that is just want I want more chickens!!!!
yesss.gif

Depends on how many eggs your family uses on a regular basis. I have 7 laying hens and got 4 eggs today. Only got 2 yesterday. They're molting so I'm getting fewer eggs right now.

If your Mom bakes a lot or if you like to have egg breakfast or dinner on a regular basis, I'd think you'd want more hens. But - hey - that's just me.

Lol yeah I LOVE egg breakfasts. My mom does use eggs in her cooking. Hopefully we can get more chicks I love the joy of little baby chicks running at my finger tips!
smile.png
I was just wondering how much more would we have to get if we even are getting any more?

Last edited:
What breed(s) do you have? That will play into the overall expected number of eggs per week as some breeds lay more than others so having 4 birds that produce, say, 3-4 eggs per week each would mean having 12-16 eggs total in the week - whereas breeds who commonly lay 5-6 eggs a week would net you 20-24 eggs per week, a considerable difference.

Loaded question with no solid answer, it all depends on how many eggs you use and the actual weekly yield and that will vary all over the place...

If you all like eggs for daily breakfast (lets ignore any other uses) 4 birds just isn't going to cut it, that is unless you only want a portion of one egg per person per day... If all 7 of you want an egg or two a day and maybe some extras for baking, you are going to need upwards of 20 decent laying birds to meet that demand...

Acutely I would probably be the only one eating eggs EVERY morning, This is also plus my mom cooking food. Also 20 chickens will just not due!
hu.gif
That would probably be to much for us to handle. The most we could handle is probably 10 , 12 max.

How many eggs does your mother currently buy from the grocery store per week or month? This is the number from which to work in figuring how many birds you need to supply that same number of eggs.

Well my mom usually buys 2 cartons of eggs over a period of 2 weeks I think. Unless she is cooking a meal with a lot of eggs than in 1 week she needs more eggs.
smile.png

Well my mom usually buys 2 cartons of eggs over a period of 2 weeks I think. Unless she is cooking a meal with a lot of eggs than in 1 week she needs more eggs.
smile.png
Are the cartons dozen cartons or 18 packs or? If dozen that means she is buying 24 eggs every two weeks - so four birds producing 5 eggs a week each would actually be more eggs than you typically use and would seem likely to be sufficient (except once you start having fresh eggs you will probably start eating more, lol)

Back
Top Bottom