Can 4 week old Cornish X have scratch?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jennyf, Mar 7, 2017.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    I'm not trying to feed them more, I'm trying to get the piggies to move around in the great scary outdoors more. Is 4 weeks too young? I feed a mash so they're getting some bigger particles and they also have had grit out for weeks.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I wouldn't but at that age I would be feeding them a Good Protein feed but I would be removing their feeders 12 hours per day/night to slow down their growth so they do not get to the point they can not walk.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's not going to hurt them at all. Scatter a bit around to encourage them to move. Or, you can use worms, produce that's going iffy, things like that. It doesn't take much feed to tempt most birds to move, so it's not like you're bulking them up on empty feed.

But, remember it is a big scary world and they're just babies, even if they are gigantic babies. They're well aware they're at the bottom of the food chain and not able to outrun a predator, so you kind of can't blame them for not being too adventurous.

1 person likes this.
  4. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Thank you!! I am doing the 12 on/12 off. I shooed them out and after a few hours, they seemed like they were exploring more.

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    They have to get brave enough to explore the un-known. Watch for predators----they Love some good chicken too!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by