can 5 wk old chicks go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bakersdozen, May 7, 2007.

1. bakersdozen

bakersdozen New Egg

May 7, 2007
    My chicks are well feathered and have been out with the older birds on a warm day. Can they go out today it's 60 and windy. Will they find their way back into coop?
    Any help would be great

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Hello!!

My 5 week old girls lie outside now BUT inthe hen house with their heat lamp. Temps here are still dropping into the upper 40's at night. But yes, I do let them wander about when it is nice out. You will be able to tell if they are chilly or not...if they are wandering and looking comfortabe, then they are fine but if they are laying down and huddling..they are cold. I go with..if it feels too chilly for me, then it is too chily for them. I would not leave them out unattended though. I let mine out for a few hours in the afternoon when it is the warmest, unless we have one of those 75-80 degree days, then they are out a little more I have a fine wire over the front of their little door to their house so they can look out if I am not here to supervise them. That way they get some fresh air in there. It is about 65 here and windy and mine are out for a stroll right now.

3. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    In a word: yes. I actually let mine go out at around that age. I watched them to see how they responded. They definately had more room to play. Make sure to watch them for signs of being cold.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    My chicks always go out around 5-6 weeks. they enjoy it! I still keep the brooder lamp on during the day and at night, just incase they get a chill. But for the most part, they stay out all day long, and have a blast. [​IMG]

5. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    My chicks have had free run of their yard since they were around 4 1/2 weeks old. I open the door as soon as the sun is hitting the chicken house and close it about an hour before sunset. They RUN out in the morning regardless of temperature, sometimes in the high 30's to low 40's and flap and fly a bit. Whenever anyone gets cool they go inside on their own, we have been very windy and sometimes they can get airborn by accident. They seem to have enough smarts to go in if they need to. Yesterday was their first time they were allowed outside the pen, with supervision, now that they are about 6 weeks old. They are such bug hunters! We are all having a great time and I have the perfect excuse to stay home and not travel [​IMG] LOL!

6. catballou24

catballou24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    our's went straight into the coop, which has 2 walls of hardware cloth. its been around 65 at night and 80's during the days though...and our babies are about 5 weeks old and almost fully feathered. they love it! we are going to start letting them run around the yard in a couple more weeks, with supervision of course! [​IMG]

7. tiffwilhelm

tiffwilhelm Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2007
    Northern California
    My little ones have romped in the yard for the last three or four weeks. We've been feeding them earwigs and they've been grazing on the clover. But they had been spending the nights inside in their little plastic tub we had for a brooder. Of course, at 8 weeks now, that just seemed cruel since they were so big. Not only do they spend all their days out, but last night they spent their first night in the coop. I put the plastic tub in there for them so it wouldn't be a total shock. They were all nested in it this morning just like they would have if they were inside. As long as they are warm enough and have some windbreak and food and water I figure the girls are okay. They really seem happier outside.

8. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Oh, yay! The coop & run are going up this weekend, so maybe i can let the lil' buggers run around during the day when it's warm! They're getting bored in the brooder, I think! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by