Can 7 week old chicks be out in the rain?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stampntam, May 23, 2010.

1. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    My chicks are 7 weeks (silkies) and 6 week old (RSL) is it okay for them to be out in the rain? Their run is fenced in with a tarp over one portion of it. They love to be outside in the run but this is the first time it is raining, should I keep them in their coop or let them decide to be in or out.
    thanks

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I would watch them. If they go stand in the rain, put them inside. Getting soaked, even in summer, is probably not a good idea.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    My two 7 week old girls were in the big scary rain yesterday, just in the run. I also use a tarp as a waterproofer until I get the roof to my coop built. My chickens are NOT renowned for their smarts..

Both girls stood JUST outside the tarp, IN the cold rain, and shook like "what the hell is falling?? and why is it hitting us?"

I ended up PICKING them up and putting them, shut, in the coop. They were fine after that, and withstood the rain and 58 degrees. Of course when it got dark I had to bring them inside. They are going out full time next week, but as the mommy we always are concerned huh? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by