Can 9 week old chicks have scratch now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kuntrychick, Dec 12, 2009.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I have 9 week old chicks and I was just wondering if they can have a little scratch now as long as I give them some grit. Also, the grit I have is Manna Pro Poultry Grit and says for at least 8 weeks old...wondering if this is ok as well because some of the pieces seem a little big, but I have no idea.

ETA: The only things I've given them besides their food and water so far is cornbread, yogurt, boiled egg and they absolutely love it. They seem bored with their food.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They can have scratch at that age as long as they have grit. I suggest you don't overdo it as the majority of their food does need to be from the balanced feed ration to optimize growth, development, and health. But they are yours and you can do what you wish.

The grit sizes may look large to you, but the adults can use sized up to pea size, which also looks pretty big. I just get small gravel from my gravel road and let them have at it.

3. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    My bag of Stall Dry says that it is made from crushed volcanic rock. My 10 wk old chicks seem to eat it instead of the grit I put out. Will the volcanic stuff work the same as regular grit? So far they don't seem to be having any problem digesting whatever I give them.

4. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks!

What about BOSS? Can 9 wk old chicks have BOSS?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by