Can a 12 week old rooster fetilize eggs? i see him mating.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XseankellyX, Jan 10, 2014.

1. XseankellyX

XseankellyX Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    Hi everyone!
    I have got a new incubator and was going to buy some eggs off a friend but then i had a thought,
    my rooster has been gettin' busy lately with the pullets (who are much older but still laying) the females are totally submissive
    and the male holds on to her neck feathers and mounts.
    My question is can he actually produce the sperm to fertilize the egg?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do a forum search on 'bullseye fertility' some threads will come up showing fertile eggs. My guess is that if he is making contact, the eggs will be fertile.

3. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Break a couple open & look for the bullseye. Don't be fooled by the "donut" shape. Somewhere on this forum there are great pictures of fertile vs unfertile eggs.

My little guy was fertilizing as soon as he started "romancing" the girls.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do not believe a 12 week old rooster can fertilize eggs. Fertility does not begin until around 16-18 weeks of age for the males in my experience. I'd say no way. Mating behavior does not mean fertility. I've seen 5 to 10 week old cockerels do a great imitation of proper mating behavior, but no way they could fertilize a hen.

5. XseankellyX

XseankellyX Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2013
    sorry but you seam to be incorrect, i have 10 eggs in my incubator on day 17 and they are fertile and going to hatch soon

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Then you were incorrect about his age- that rooster was older than 12 weeks. Roosters do not become fertile at 12 weeks of age. Or there is another rooster fertilizing the hens somehow. They are not capable at 12 weeks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    It depends on the breed and type. Bantams tend to develop faster than large fowl. And a common leghorn would be ready to go faster than a rare phoenix.

I've got one egg in that predicament now from a bantam frizzle who is about 14 weeks old, and a bantam hen who is over a year old. And I am VERY certain on rooster age, because I hatched him myself. Yet the egg is very fertile, and due next week.

8. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I have two Augsburger roos who are fertile at twelve weeks. In fact, I first started getting fertile eggs two week ago. My boys are BARELY twelve weeks old now but they have shown to be great flock protectors and watch after the young girls that they have grown up with. I'm just glad I have the older hens for them to mate with so they wouldn't have to bother the younger ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by