Can a 3 day old rooster have a pinpoint little black tail?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by terry's chicks, Mar 8, 2011.

1. terry's chicks

terry's chicks In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    I got my mail order chick, the suprise chick which I hear is usually a rooster, well I was checking "it's" butt for pasting and there was this black, stringing looking thing, I washed "it's" bottom and the little black thing felt firm like a feather?????This is my first time, but I'm thinking.........

2. montanasandy

montanasandy Chirping

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana
    I think it is probably the umbilical cord. It will fall off on its own.

3. terry's chicks

terry's chicks In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    It is the only one of 26 that have these, and one is right above the (do you call it their vent) and 2 are right below, I think they are too high for an imbillical cord but I'm no expert.

4. montanasandy

montanasandy Chirping

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana
    I am no expert either, maybe someone else knows. I copied this from the MPC website, don't know if that sounds like it or not.

The Umbilical Cord
    Some baby chicks will arrive to you with an intact, attached umbilical cord. It looks like a very thin black string, attached to their rear. For heaven's sake, don't pull it! It's not "pasting up"! Just leave it alone. It will fall off within a day or two. Pulling it can really injure them.

5. OneCrazyChickenLady

OneCrazyChickenLady In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Thanks! I am not sure either! It definitely looks like it is an umbilical cord. I am just not sure if I should worry about it? I have never seen a chick with an umbilical cord still attached. Do I need to clean it??[​IMG]

I researched a bit on here, but haven't really found out an answer. I will have to keep looking. Maybe I will call the feed store in the morning.

6. OneCrazyChickenLady

OneCrazyChickenLady In the Brooder

Jan 29, 2011
    Sorry! Wrong post! [​IMG]

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    don't clean it, just leave it be it will fall off soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: