Can a 3 day old rooster have a pinpoint little black tail?

terry's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
I got my mail order chick, the suprise chick which I hear is usually a rooster, well I was checking "it's" butt for pasting and there was this black, stringing looking thing, I washed "it's" bottom and the little black thing felt firm like a feather?????This is my first time, but I'm thinking.........

It is the only one of 26 that have these, and one is right above the (do you call it their vent) and 2 are right below, I think they are too high for an imbillical cord but I'm no expert.

I am no expert either, maybe someone else knows. I copied this from the MPC website, don't know if that sounds like it or not.

The Umbilical Cord
Some baby chicks will arrive to you with an intact, attached umbilical cord. It looks like a very thin black string, attached to their rear. For heaven's sake, don't pull it! It's not "pasting up"! Just leave it alone. It will fall off within a day or two. Pulling it can really injure them.

Thanks! I am not sure either! It definitely looks like it is an umbilical cord. I am just not sure if I should worry about it? I have never seen a chick with an umbilical cord still attached. Do I need to clean it??
hu.gif

I researched a bit on here, but haven't really found out an answer. I will have to keep looking. Maybe I will call the feed store in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom