Can a 3 month old roo be fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kickinchicken, Nov 4, 2010.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I just lost my FAVORITE hen to aspiration at the vet today. She was the only one laying eggs (the rest are molting) and she was very ready to breed. She did the squat every time I came near her. I have a 3 month old roo and was wondering if he is fertile or is he too young?

He is very big and handsome and I am hoping that perhaps the 4 eggs sitting on my counter have been fertilized and I can have her babies incubated and hatched in a friend's bator. I am hoping that he possibly mated with her and that at least one or two of these little eggs hatches a chick that looks like her.

Thanks for your input.

Ashlee

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

12 weeks is a little young. If you haven't seen him chase the hens or try to mount them, then I don't think he's quite ready yet. But I could be wrong and someone with more knowledge than I could respond and tell you different information.

3. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    It never hurts to try!

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    How old are the eggs? Have you candled the eggs to see if the first stage has started?
    Being your friend has the bator ask for his/her opion. You could just go ahead and start the incubation and check the eggs on the 3rd day to see if they changed.
    There is a lot of info on the Incubator/Hatching forums.

5. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I don't have a strong enough small flashlight. I couldn't see much. The 4 eggs are now in the bator so in about 3 days April will check to see if things are moving along. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by