can a adult quail eat the same food as a adult chicken

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pax12, Nov 29, 2008.

1. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    can a adult quail eat the same food as a adult chicken

2. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    That is what we are going to feed ours.

3. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    i feed my breeding quail laying mash. When i have babies they get a higher protein.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I feed my adult coturnix and adult button quail laying chicken mash, however i'd perfer to feed them gamebird adult crumbles so if you can get adult game bird crumbles i'd reccomend that. HOwever as long as you dont mind supplimenting with extra protien sources laying chicken mash for adult quail should be perfectly fine....AS LONG AS IT"S NOT MEDICATED.

You can suppliment protien with mealworms, catfood (ground up and only once a week fed to adults mixed in with their normal food), crickets, boiled eggs mashed up (even thier own can be boiled and fed back to them mashed up).

Edited to add : my quail chicks get nonmedicated gamebird chick feed. But i still suppliment their diet as well. For some reason my farm stores dont sell adult game bird feed however they sell chick gamebird feed...go figure.....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  5. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    I feed game bird crumbles to all of mine. Mine are livestock, and I want the best production possible. The better the protein levels in your feed match the nutritional requirement of the species the faster the growth rate and the better the egg production will be. Mixing protein supplements is tricky also, since the protein has to be averaged with the entire consumption of all feeds and supplements.

Brad

6. ZsBeez

ZsBeez New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Orrington, ME
    I go to Blue Seal, they have muliti flock feed at 28% and 22%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by