can a Americana pullet start begin laying noncolored eggs..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenreyna, Mar 26, 2018.

1. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I have a Barred rock just positively started laying about ten days ago. Also, positively my BCM pullet has laid two dark eggs this past week.. Obviously dark belonging to my BCM..

Ok, I have an americauna pullet.. Same age as my BR. I've been getting multiple eggs per day that look identical to the Barredrocks eggs. Is she laying two or three x a day or is the Americana not laying colored blue egg tinted eggs???

Pictured below is all the eggs in between a sexlink and a buff orphingtons egg

Attached Files:

2. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Is your "Americana" from a hatchery? Likely she is an Easter Egger, and yes they can lay brown eggs.

Folly's place and chickenreyna like this.
  3. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Again... Is it likely my br is laying a couple eggs a day or is my americana not starting out with blue green eggs??

Attached Files:

4. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    From a Tractor type store.. Ok so i got an americana that prob lays brown eggs..lol..

5. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Ok thats what i thought it was.. Thanks for replying

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's possible that you were sold the wrong chick. There are lots of breeds that look alike as chicks, and it's an easy mistake to make.

7. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    It resembles my other EE hen and other ee hens ive seen. Colored same colored feet and puffs under & around face however chipmunk striped as a chick but had puffs then too

Attached Files:

8. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Shes hardest one to photograph let me look through my gallery

9. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    That looks like a easter egger, if you got her from a feed store then it is almost definitely a EE. It is rare for hatcheries to have true ameraucanas, a feed store having them would be even more uncommon. EEs can lay any colored egg.

10. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    Also to answer the question of "can a ameraucana pullet start begin laying non colored eggs?" the answer is no, I think, they might have the odd egg that is not colored properly but no, the laying of non colored eggs should not happen when they start to lay or anytime. Unless, you just get a random poorly tinted egg, which does happen sometimes with any bird. But if the bird has been laying brown eggs then she should continue to lay brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: